Monday, April 26, 2010

What's it take to have a successful women's movement in Africa?

Moral clarity, persistence, and patience (According to Lehman Gbowee (the now-famous figure from Pray the Devil Back to Hell).
I would add: creativity and courage

Most of this post comes from reading a great blog post "It's Time to End Africa's Mass Rape"

The Liberian story, like many others, really brings home the ability of women within a society to completely transform a war into peace. I highly recommend seeing Pray the Devil Back to Hell.

I know its not necessarily the case that women automatically change the nature of a conflict, but its great to see the impact of these tough, strong, paradigm-changing ladies.

Movements to watch:

Women Peace and Security Network Africa (WIPSEN-Africa)

Women of Zimbabwe Arise

African Women’s Development Fund

The African Feminist Forum

Peace is Loud!

I've always been fascinated by the stereotype of 'quiet' women. Sure, I've met one or two, but I've been fortunate (yay Wellesley!) to have known many warm sisterhoods and some pretty feisty ladies.

Best,
Alena

No comments:

Post a Comment