Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 4: Alena The Jovial

Dear Readers,

My favorite comment so far:
“I like Americans if they are all as jovial as you”

If you haven’t been to Abuja, Nigeria, you don’t know that it is super expensive. Restaurants are expensive. Foreigners are extra over-charged.

While trying to book a flight to Port Harcourt and on to Yenagoa, I took a break at the Hilton’s café. I ordered an ice tea, which was the cheapest thing on the menu.

Despite there being plenty of empty tables, a strange Nigerian man on a phone, chose to sit at my table (without asking), continued talking loudly on the phone and clearly pretending that he and I were deliberately sitting together.

As I ignored him, he eventually got tired of trying to chat me up while he was on the phone…until he got bored and left.

Then a DIFFERENT man, came and did the same thing. I don’t know what it means.
Theories: 1) He wanted to chat me up (which, if that was the case, put down the phone and introduce yourself). 2) He wanted to look like he was with someone, maybe to avoid someone else. 3) I unknowingly participated in a scam (my boyfriend's theory).

The Hilton charges $24 dollars for one hour of using their wireless internet. Crazy, I went to a Nigerian café and got an hour of internet for 1.5 dollars.

Hope you're enjoying this as much as I am! Nigeria is exhausting, but also massively stimulating and interesting.

Best,
Alena the Jovial

1 comment:

  1. I know few as jovial as you, and I am enjoying this blog :)

    ReplyDelete